This fall we decided not to sign Daniel up for any sports. He has tried soccer, football, and t-ball hasn't really found one that keeps attention. So, in an effort to keep him active, I decided to sign us both up for a 5k in September. It was an effort to keep me active too. We starting training and would run when we could. He was getting pretty good and could outlast me on our longer runs.
The day of the race came and he was so excited. The whole time we were training he kept talking about wanting to win the race. I tried to convince him that finishing the race is wining, but he was having none of it.
So when the race started, he took off. And I mean sprinting. I had to race to catch up to him. We finished the first 1/2 mile in 4 minutes. Needless to say, I was spent after that.
I had to walk more than I should have. He did not appreciate that since I was making him stay with me. But, we finished! And in pretty good time: 33:54. We ran our fastest average mile. I was pretty excited. He wanted to stay for awards to see if he won. I tried to keep him realistic saying he probably didn't win. He was racing in the 12yr and under boys category. And he had a slow mom he had to stay with. They started with the 12yr and under girls and when they announced the winner had run the race in 20 minutes, I was pretty sure he wasn't going to place. So, I was pretty shocked when they called his name for 3rd place! The 1st place boy did run the race in 20 minutes but I am still impressed with Daniel. He beat out 9 other boys in his age group, most are probably older than him.
He was so excited. He even wore his medal to school the following Monday so he could show everyone.
I think he has the running bug. Individual sports are probably more his thing, especially since Mom keeps slowing him down. Now I just have to convince him he won't win a medal every race he is in (then again, maybe he will).




No comments:
Post a Comment